Wednesday 9 July 2008

It Begins.

So here we go...


I suppose this project originated from thoughts sparked up by the book 'How To Live Off Grid' by Nick Rosen - a vital read for anyone even vaguely interested in alternative/sustainable lifestyles - which kept me captivated with accounts of how many people lived a) by harnessing the maximal power of nature and b) with little or no rent or bills...

Surely a more sustainable way of life would be extremely suited to the hard up, scrimp'n'save world of a student?

I decided several months ago that I would spend the final year of my Fine Art:Live Art course at Kingston University living in a van; trying my best to use the sun and nearby Hogsmill river for energy and growing or catching as much food as possible.

I brought my plan to the attention of the university who were commendably accomodating and arranged all the neccessary meetings with Health and Safety. These went swimmingly, albeit with a baffled expression as to why I would ever want to go through with such a lengthy and (seemingly) uncomfortable project. The university also were kind enough to offer me a parking space in the art campus carpark - another potential bill sidestepped...

After LONG discussions with many many people concerning 'problem' aspects of the piece that they assumed I had not already considered, I further galvanised in my mind that I would prove them wrong and show that it was more than possible to exist comfortably and sustainably as a student.

Perhaps with some hope that more people would follow my lead... I fully understood i had a long road ahead of me to prove anything to anyone...

No comments: